Monday, December 10, 2007

A Sixers roster in desperate need

by Goose

This is what you have to work with, Ed Stefanski…

I think I’m one of about 12 people that still tune into Sixers games. And even I’m not sure why I still do it. Before the season I was cautiously excited about the team, not because I thought they would make the playoffs (you know, because I’m not a mental patient), but because I thought they would be a fun team to watch with a few building blocks for the future.

Well, now, almost a quarter of the way into the season, I think I’m going to have to admit I have no idea what I was talking about. Let’s take a look at this roster based on Saturday night’s win against the Knicks…

Starters

Andre Iguodala – I wonder if he thinks his Wildcats team could compete in the NBA. I sure do.

Andre Miller – Solid point guard. Knows the game. Must feel like he ran over God’s kitten to be stuck with this team. Will be on suicide watch after the trade deadline if he’s still here.

Reggie Evans – A poor man’s Bo Outlaw. Is that something you strive for, or fall to? I’m still undecided.

Samuel Dalembert – Would have to eat his doppelganger to be considered an inside presence.

Willie Green – Occasionally he puts together a good game. Unfortunately, it’s like six times a year.

Bench

Kyle Korver – He’s like Steve Kerr, only taller. Steve Kerr got away with playing no defense because Jordan was on the floor. I’m not sure Korver’s defense would be hidden with two Jordans on the floor.

Louis Williams – I guess you could call him the one unexpected surprise this year, though he’s still an enigma. Certainly can score, but really hasn’t proven himself against, you know, an actual NBA team. The Knicks don’t count.

Thaddeus Young – For whatever reason, Cheeks is pulling a Larry Brown with this guy. Seriously, where are the Sixers going this year? Why isn’t this guy getting more minutes? Why not throw him out there with Carney, Iggy, Miller and, I don’t know, Josh Smith, and see what happens. See, these are the kind of lineups I would try. Why am I not an NBA coach?

Jason Smith – Against the Knicks on Saturday night, he had eight points and nine boards. I’m not sure he’s allowed to brag about that though. I think I could have gotten at least five boards in that game.

Rodney Carney – If Young is getting the Brown treatment, Carney is getting the “we made a mistake in drafting you and hope you just leave” treatment. Ugh, the Sixers have not drafted well of late.

Shavlik Randolph – Hey – look who’s back! Actually, and I really hate admitting this, last year, before getting injured, I thought Randolph had been playing well.

And that’s where we are right now with the Sixers. When the return of Shavlik Randolph is the silver lining of your cloud, you know there are some issues. Start your engine, Mr. Stefanski, you’re on the clock.

No comments: